- Where are We At ?
average age of the world's great civilizations has been
two hundred years. These nations have progressed through
bondage to spiritual faith;
- from spiritual faith to great courage;
- from great courage to liberty;
- from liberty to abundance;
- from abundance to selfishness;
- from selfishness to complacency;
- from complacency to apathy;
- from apathy to dependency;
- from dependency back again into bondage.
. . a democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
It can only exist until the voters discover that they
can vote themselves largess from the public treasury.
From that time on, the majority always votes for the candidates
promising the most benefits from the public treasury,
with the result that democracy always collapses over loose
fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."
Alex Faser Tytler (1742-1813), Professor Universal History,
Edinburgh University, 1801 lecture collection.